- All week long Pa had been tapping the maple trees and now
- he had a big vat of maple syrup. Mary and Laura poured loops of syrup
- in the clean snow to make maple candy. How good it tasted! In the morning Ma
- made Belgian waffles and everyone covered them in maple syrup and ate until they
- could hold no more. Then in the afternoon all the other settlers came to the Ingalls' house.
- They brought fiddles and mandolins and accordians and saxophones and grand
- pianos. They played music and danced until dawn. Mary and Laura had to
- go to bed, but for a long time they lay awake in their warm eiderdown
- bed listening to the musicians playing Chopin waltzes and
- mazurkas downstairs. How happy everyone was!
- From 'Little House in the Big Woods'
by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Learn how to make molasses-on-snow candy (Maple Syrup Taffy) here:
'The Kitchn' blog (where the photo is from) or buy the book :
The Little House Cookbook:
Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
Illustrations by Garth Williams (1912-96)